Total hits on xxxxxxx.html Starting Date Goes Here the vacationalist: christmas rant.

Sunday, December 10, 2006

christmas rant.

As not to confuse anyone, I will begin by informing those who do not know that I am back in the states. My sister is getting married at the end of the month and I refuse to miss a fancy dress party. That said, I will continue on to the topic of this blog. Ahem.

Christmas music makes me want to hurt someone. Now don’t get me wrong here, I love Christmas. And I have nothing against Perry or Bing. But there comes a time when enough is enough. Every radio station is playing the same 20 Christmas songs on a loop 24 hours a day. Perhaps my memory deceives me, but was there not a time when Christmas gradually started rolling in a week after thanksgiving, and fully settled in around the 15th? I remember a few years ago complaining that all of a sudden everything was Christmas the day after thanksgiving. Now stores are full of red and green Santas a full two weeks before turkey day. And the level of Christmas used to gradually grow until the day was finally arrived. Now it hits the ground running, right our of the gates. From dawn till dusk in every store “here comes Santa clause” blasting like cathy lee on Ritalin. Forcing you to continue shopping at a hyper active rate. But God forbid anyone speak up against the insanity, else Fox News declares it a WAR ON CHRISTMAS.

I love this time of year because I can spend quiet evenings at home with my family watching movies and eating good food, with the smell of pine enriching the house, emanating from the dead evergreen in the corner. Hopefully without “the jingle bell rock” crashing through the air waves fourteen times a day. And as I change the channel on the station yet again for the day, I wonder what it would be like to be Jewish this time of year. Which is, by the way, the only time of year when you can bet money on the fact that if you don’t change the station for sixty minutes, you will hear a WAM song without fail. Oh George Michael if only you knew at the time.

5 Comments:

At 10:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Saucy. Call me.

 
At 1:45 AM, Blogger adam said...

but which old roomate? how will i know? sad face.

 
At 11:21 AM, Blogger SamSam said...

I watched The Bishop's Wife last night and thought of you.

 
At 10:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

your old roommate = belin

 
At 11:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

merry christmas!

lack of xmas spirit in taiwan is rather irritating; however, i had a fabulous christmas with family here. NO firs or pines...we had to get a fake tree this year, booo:(

come back to poznan!
anywho, enjoy the holiday
ciao

 

Post a Comment

<< Home